A Very Special ‘Are We Alone’

by admin on December 21, 2009

A massive black hole lies at the center of our galaxy, a monster hunkered down in the Milky Way’s innermost sanctum. Here, the bizarre laws of General Relativity take over, as the physics we know break down. And our spaceship is headed straight for it.

Join us on a special dramatized 26,000 light-year adventure to the Galaxy’s hulking heart of darkness. We explore a cosmos held together by gravity – discover why it’s not really a force – and try to avoid getting too close to a black hole, the ultimate expression of gravity.

This program is part of the traveling exhibit: “Black Holes, Space Warps and Time Twists,” a production of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Find out more at: http://web-bh.cfa.harvard.edu/

Cast:
Seth Shostak – himself
Molly Bentley – herself, Dr. Barsky
Doug Vakoch – News Anchor
Roland Pease – Dr. Childschwartz
Lilia Roman – SOPHIA
Roe DeVasto – Ship Computer
Patrick Porter – Dr. G
Gary Niederhoff – DAN, Albert Einstein, Dr. Dutch

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

avatar Anonymous December 27, 2009 at 1:15 am

I love the show and have listened to all of them for about the past two years. This particular show (Journey to a Black Hole) was awful. Easily the worst "Are We Alone" I've ever listened to. I kept waiting for the dramatization to end but it went the whole duration of the show. I normally look forward to the show each Monday but this week I felt jipped.

avatar Anonymous December 27, 2009 at 1:33 pm

I enjoyed this! I hope that the AWA crew make some more episodes like this one – there is a universe full of possible topics!

avatar Ashish December 29, 2009 at 6:53 am

This show was brilliant.Period. I just recently discovered your shows and I'm a big fan already. Have been recommending to friend's and family ever since.

avatar Ben January 4, 2010 at 1:01 pm

This was one of my all time favorite episodes of AWA. Very unique and entertaining. Great job everyone!

avatar Ternple January 5, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Thanks AWA. Fun episode!

avatar Coutelier January 10, 2010 at 2:18 pm

SOPHIA… Nooooooooo!!!

She may have just been a hologram, but of all the souls in this dramatisation about Black Holes hers was the most… human (sniff)

avatar terrence January 13, 2010 at 12:47 pm

This show is brilliant all the "actors" should be nominated for radio oscars!.After recovering from a nasty bout of flu this is just what i needed to bring me back to planet earth amongst the living!.I thought Garys Dr.Einstien verged on the very edge of brilliance,you would never guess he is a Pink Flloyd fan!.Well done you guys exellent.

avatar Hapi January 13, 2010 at 10:00 pm

hello… hapi blogging… have a nice day! just visiting here….